Thanks for the reply!  Comments interspersed below.

On Tuesday, June 28, 2016 10:14:48 AM Johann Klammer wrote:
> BTW: What is apper? I can't seem to find any package with that name on my
> system...

apper is a GUI package manager for Debian--sort of a GUI version of apt-get.
(IIRC, there have been several GUI and non-GUI package managers for Debian).

> > So, now what do I do?
> >
> > Per the warning from Johann Klemmer, I want to be careful about
> > rebooting--I don't want to attempt a reboot that might fail.
> >
> > Is there any log of the apper install process that would give me more
>
> > information than the popup messages:
> You could try .xsession-errors in your home dir.

No luck there--it found a lot of "pagewrapper"s, but no just plain "apper"s.

> It's typically where all the sessions' output gets dumped.
> otherwise look for apper docs /usr/share/doc/<packagename>

I'll try that a little later today.