On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 09:40:20 +1000
Charlie <ariest...@ipstarmail.com.au> wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Sep 2016 19:18:50 -0400 Neal P. Murphy sent:
>
> > On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 09:00:51 +1000
> > Charlie <ariest...@ipstarmail.com.au> wrote:
> >
> > > On Tue, 13 Sep 2016 09:31:36 -0600 Joe Pfeiffer sent:

> > >   After contemplation, my reply is:
> > >
> > > What can I say?
> > >
> > > I have no idea about networking and with the previous satellite
> > > system and modem never had the problems I'm experiencing with this
> > > one.
> > >
> > > Know nothing of network translation or external address.
> > >
> > > Connecting directly to the modem with a standard Ethernet cat5
> > > cable to a vanilla, up to date Debian testing laptop, get the
> > > result posted.
> > >
> > > Connecting to the same modem with the same cable to a windows 10
> > > machine, I checked again this morning, because I could get a
> > > connection through the modem after 54 minutes wait.
> > >
> > > I get: IPv4 address 10.80.2.86
> > >
> > > Which the person from my ISP was interested in.
> > >
> > > I get: Default gateway 10.80.2.85
> > >
> > > I don't know more than that?
> > >
> > > I have been trying to discover what the problem is with my Satellite
> > > internet connection. Doing this between outages by the NBN Co,
> > > government arm, who own and run it.
> > >
> > > It's decidedly tricky, and it's not like my Debian system is the
> > > only one having these problems. They are also being experienced by
> > > windows users on the same satellite system.
> > >
> > > As an aside:
> > >
> > > Connecting with an Ethernet cable to the wireless router I get:
> > >
> > > Gateway 192.168.2.1
> > > Destination 192.168.2.0
> > >
> > > Thanks for taking the time and thinking about this problem I'm
> > > experiencing. I will have to muddle through and just put up the long
> > > wait to get an internet connection after turning on the modem.
> > >
> > > Charlie
> >
> > Might it be related to the different MAC address? Might the ISP lock
> > service to the MAC address it sees, at least for some period of time?
> >
> > Get the MAC address of your Win10 system and set the NIC of your
> > Debian system to it, for example: ip link set dev eth0 address
> > aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff
> >
> > See if it works any better once you've cloned the MAC address.

>       After contemplation, my reply is:
>
> The windows system doesn't find the internet connection either.
>
> I try to connect with Debian by default and after some 30 or 40
> minutes, a couple of reboots of the modem, bring my eth0 connection up
> and down a couple of times. do direct connection to the modem. If no
> connection found.
>
> Couple up the windows 10 lappy. First through the wireless non
> connection, rebooting the lappy a couple of times, then the Ethernet
> cable through wireless router and then finally direct to the modem.
>
> Then, because the connection hasn't been found. I return to the Debian
> lappy, knowing now it's not that system and as I work keep trying
> things and after maybe an hour or often more, get onto a connection.
>
> One day didn't get on for 2 days, but that was a NBN outage for that
> [...]

Try:
  - turn off the modem for 5 minutes (or longer, if needed; it may take longer
    for the ISP to 'reset')
  - turn the modem on
  - see if Debian will connect

Does the ISP use DHCP? Or does it use PPPoE? If DHCP, you might try:
  tcpdump -v -i eth0 port 67 or port 68
to see the DHCP traffic. (There may be other options you can add to display
more info or better DHCP protocol decoding.)