On 15 September 2016 at 19:23, Michael Fothergill <
michael.fotherg...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On 15 Sep 2016 19:08, "Frank" <zuiderd...@gmx.com> wrote:

> open
> >>

> >> So does that mean that I could do
> >>
> >> dpkg - i on the three deb files you found there and xaraxl might
> >> actually run after all......
> >> ???
> >

> > In theory. Actually, I used GDebi to install. That takes care of any
> dependencies your system might not have yet.
>

> So if I copied the deb files into a directory   I could then run gdebi and
> it would sniff out e.g. the executable and library files and do its best to
> add on the correct dependencies etc......
>
> ?
>
> I will have a go.
>
> Regds
>
> MF
> .
>

> > And of course, the fact it runs/opens initially doesn't mean it won't
> crash at a later stage. I believe there were some issues with the newer
> version of one of its dependencies.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Frank
>
> ​Dear All,

I tried using gdebi to install xaralx deb file.  The error I get seems to
suggest I need a newer version of the libjpeg package than I currently
have......

See here:​

root@rhinoceros:/home/mikef/Documents/xaralx# gdebi
xaralx_0.7r1785-7_amd64.deb
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Building data structures... Done
Building data structures... Done
This package is uninstallable
Dependency is not satisfiable: libjpeg8 (>= 8c)

​I am a bit puzzled here....  If this version of xaralx was abandoned in
2014 surely gdebi would be asking me to install older versions of dependent
packages rather then bang up to date ones?​

​I am running Debian Jessie (amd64 version on a Kaveri box).

Comments appreciated.

Regards

MF

​