On Tue, 1 Dec 2015 21:12:29 -0500
"Neal P. Murphy" <neal.p.mur...@alum.wpi.edu> wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Nov 2015 17:18:51 -0500
> "Neal P. Murphy" <neal.p.mur...@alum.wpi.edu> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 29 Nov 2015 14:35:15 +0100
> > Sven Arvidsson <s...@whiz.se> wrote:

> > > If this was on a stable system it seems odd, if it was unstable or
> > > testing it might just be one of the "charms" of running something that
> > > is in development.
>
> It's still odd. But with no change to the OS, the fan speed has returned. So
> I'm going to conclude that it is related to hardware and/or firmware (flaky
> NVRAM, flaky power supply, flaky mainboard, &c.), that the kernel update was
> not the cause.

Following up on this, it was almost certainly the power supply. Turns out the
supplies I had on hand each had two 20A (or 22A) 12VDC rails. The 12VDC was
dipping during periods of 'high load' (meaning the current draw exceeded the
rail's ability to supply it). Modern 'high power' CPUs often need a lot more
than that. I bought a Corsair RM750X supply with a single 625A 12VDC rail.
Overkill, but it was only $60 after rebates. The Smoothwall Express build time
remained at around 90 minutes (a little less for 32-bit, a little more for
64-bit); Linux takes less than 8 minutes to build. The fans work correctly
again.

All is well now. The CPU fan sometimes gets up to about 7000 RPM (when the room
temp is high). The CPU stays under 60C (but will rise slightly higher than that
if the room is over 80-85°F. The 12VDC is rock steady. It took me a while to
retune /etc/fancontrol to keep the fans silent when the system is mostly
quiescent.

Debian was not at fault.