Am 01.10.2016 um 15:57 schrieb Teemu Likonen:
mo [2016-10-01 12:36:10+02] wrote:

I'm not a friend of avahi to be honest, i much rather ignore it :D

Avahi is great. My ethernet-connected printer uses DHCP to get IP
address and network configuration. The printer announces itself to the
network with <mac-address>.local name so a print server can use that
name to connect to it. CUPS print server also announces its printers by
names. No static IP address configuration needed anywhere. I think the
underlying technique is called multicast DNS.

I guess i should be looking into avahi, never really did that, to be honest avahi so far did not really made much sense to me with my static network... But one can never learn enough ;)

Greets

mo