On Fri 07 Oct 2016 at 19:05:23 +0200, Hans Kraus wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am 06.10.2016 um 20:43 schrieb Brian:
> >On Thu 06 Oct 2016 at 19:39:21 +0200, Hans Kraus wrote:
> >
> >[...]
> >>>
> >>root@robbe:~# glxinfo
> >>Error: unable to open display
> >
> >That is when you used a terminal. Boot into X with
> >
> >  xinit -- vt$XDG_VTNR
> >
> >It is not pretty but there is an xterm to type commands into. What is
> >the output?
> >
> I'm not able to start the xterm. Nothing happens hen I type Ctrl-D in
> the sad computer window.
>
> When I start another shell and login into it I get for
> 'xinit -- vt$XDG_VTNR':
> (EE)
> Fatal server error:
> (EE) Server is already active for display 0
>       If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
>       and start again.
> (EE)
> (EE)
> Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
>        at http://wiki.x.org
>  for help.
> (EE)
> XIO:  fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0"
>       after 7 requests (7 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
> After deleting /tmp/.X0-lock I get:
> _XSERVTransSocketUNIXCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener() failed
> _XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: server already running
> (EE)
> Fatal server error:
> (EE) Cannot establish any listening sockets - Make sure an X server isn't
> already running(EE)
> (EE)
> Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
>        at http://wiki.x.org
>  for help.
> (EE) Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional
> information.
> (EE)
> (EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.
> X connection to :0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
>  Thanks & regards,
> Hans

This is getting more complicated.

  ps ax | grep init

Then kill <process_number> for anything with xinit in it. Maybe.

There is probably a good reason but the consistent 24 hour lag between a

message and a response from you is not exactly motivating.

Also, there are other pertinent posts you have not replied to.