I was trying to create a bootable USB flash disk following this guide :
4.3.3.2. Preparing Files For USB Memory Stick Booting > the flexible way >
adding installer image
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/ch04s03.html.en#usb-copy-flexible
<https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/ch04s03.html.en>

Booting the USB installer gives me a 'kernel panic - vfs unable to mount
root fs' booting the USB installer

This is strange, because several months ago i did successfully create a
debian installer, using the same cd-image, following this same guide, and
installed this Debian (i'm currently using to write this mail) into this
machine.

After struggling almost an hour, i got it working. I found that the content
of the syslinux.cfg is the culprit since I cant boot without the
syslinux.cfg file and manually provide the boot parameter at boottime

boot: vmlinuz initrd=initrd.gz

I learned that this machine i was using to create the USB installer is on
debian jessie having *syslinux version 6.03*.

Then this is what I got from the syslinux site:
http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php?title=Directives/append

Take the following simple configuration:

>   DEFAULT mykernel
>   APPEND root=/dev/sda2
>
> Note that the APPEND line here is a *global* directive, as it is not part
> of any LABEL entry.
>
> For Syslinux 4.xx and older, the above simple configuration works as (it
> used to be) expected.
>
> *Since version 5.00,* the result for the above sample configuration is
> that the *root=/dev/sda2* argument is not parsed, which will lead to
> unexpected results, most probably with some kind of failure to boot the OS.
> In other words, the *global* APPEND is ignored by the DEFAULT directive.
>
> For the above example, the configuration could be re-written as:
>
>   DEFAULT mykernel root=/dev/sda2
>
> or even better as:
>
>   DEFAULT mylabel
>   LABEL mylabel
>   KERNEL mykernel
>   APPEND root=/dev/sda2
>
> which "moves" the *global* APPEND line into the new LABEL entry.
>
> Generally speaking, it is recommended to have at least one LABEL entry.

Well, i struggled almost an hour reformating the USB, and copying several
times :( for this simple fix.. this means i'm still a newbie.
But from my point of view, i think... the installation guide might need a
bit changes. Am I right?

This is content of the syslinux.cfg the from installation guide :