On Monday 07 November 2016 14:48:29 Richard Owlett wrote:
> On 11/7/2016 7:57 AM, to...@tuxteam.de wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Nov 07, 2016 at 07:12:00AM -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >>
> >> My Debian machines do not physically have networking capability.
> >> See my email hearder. Mr. Gates can handle some things ;/
> >
> > No physical networking capability is needed for surprising things
> > to happen. Spiritual network access may be enough (say playing a
> > video file which carries a stack smashing exploit for your video
> > player).
> >
> > I seem to discern in you the old DOS attitude which brought about
> > a Golden Era of Virus (which is returning via the "The Browser is
> > The Machine", mind you ;-)
> >
> > (please, don't take the above really seriously: but yes, many
> > decisions behind all that permissions circus in Unix and children
> > can be traced back to an effort to separate different things.
> > If you let that concept sink in, you won't be surprised as often).
>
> I doubt that were are that far apart in goals. I'm so old
> fashioned that I remember when the "cores" of core memory were
> visible to the naked eye.

My husband is so old fashioned that he insists on using cheques.  The problem
is that workmen et al don't like cheques.  So I have taken to suggesting that
he should pay me by cheque and I will pay the workmen electronically.  I want
them to work for us again!!

Sometimes Richard, you have to accept that they have invented the quartz watch
and not insist on using a wind up, then complaining when the local watch
cleaner has closed down because everyone else has switched to quartz.

Lisi