Hi,

Am 11. November 2016 17:57:27 MEZ, schrieb Andy Smith <a...@strugglers.net>:
>Hi Richard,
>
>On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 10:49:37AM -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:
>> I was considering using dd to copy the entire drive to a *SINGLE*
>> partition of a 1 TB drive with the intention making a "byte perfect"
>> of of the defective drive to a new 300 GB drive at a later time to
>> then attempt "data rescue". Partitions other than the first are
>> evidently readable.
>>
>> Suggestions/comments please.
>
>You are better off using GNU ddrescue for taking images of
>possibly-failing devices.

Full ACK: GNU ddrescue has saved my data multiple times in the past, I can
really recommend it. (The "log file" is very helpful with resuming at a later
point in time if you had to cancel it.)

Just don't confuse it with dd_rescue, which I don't recommend unless you are an
expert and have a very special case.

Regards,
Christian