Try system-rescue-cd at http://www.system-rescue-cd.org.  It has a full set of
Linux commands (boots several versions of Linux kernels) and some hardware
diagnostics including memtest86 you mentioned.  It is a full Linux OS even with
a graphical mode (run startx or select on main menu) to run a browser and other
graphical tools.

One of the tools is a disk scan and repair utility.  It even has a remap mode to
remap bad sectors.

I have used this disk (burned to CD or put in a flash drive) for years repairing
my Linux or Windows OS's (mostly XP).  It has a grub boot utility to help repair
grub installations.

The ultimate disk repair utility is spinrite (at grc.com).  It is a $89 pay
program but when you need data off a failing drive its worth it.  There are many
testimonials about how a Windows installation can be made bootable again after
running a spinrite scan.

*...Bob*