I've had a similar problem after an xorg update on a VM running with the QXL
video display.   I downgrade the xorg packages and all is well.  If you are not
running X then this may not help you.  You might try another video display like
VMVGA.

Have you tried ssh into the VM after the viewer closes?

*...Bob*