On 02/01/17 13:38, Joel Rees wrote:
I got a Brother printer to work by installing both the debian packages
from the repos and the deb from Brother's website, but the scanner
still isn't being found.
Running Wheezy.
Would anyone care to tell me what steps they took to get scan
functionality on their Brother multifunction printers?

Is this a network printer? Did you configure your scanner client settings with brsaneconfig[1-4]? For example:
http://support.brother.com/g/s/id/linux/en/instruction_scn1b.html?c=nz&lang=en&prod=mfcl2740dw_us_eu_as&redirect=on

From my MFC-L2740DW on unstable amd64, I ran:

brsaneconfig4 -a name="Brother MFC-L2740DW" model=MFC-L2740DW ip=192.168.1.2

The scanner was then correctly detected in xsane.

I am using:

brscan-skey-0.2.4-1.amd64.deb
brscan4-0.4.3-0.amd64.deb
mfcl2740dwcupswrapper-3.2.0-1.i386.deb