On 01/06/2017 09:57 AM, h...@hanswkraus.com wrote:

> Am 06.01.2017 15:45, schrieb Dan Ritter:
>
>> On Fri, Jan 06, 2017 at 03:32:01PM +0100, h...@hanswkraus.com
>> <mailto:h...@hanswkraus.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> urgent help needed. After adding an iptable entry for masquerading my
>>> local network and making it permanent with
>>> the package "iptables-persistent" my Debian server doesn't boot any
>>> more.
>>> It hangs with the line:
>>> A start job is running for LSB: Raise network interfaces. ( ... /no
>>> limit)
>>> The root file system where it boots from is on an Adaptec HW Raid
>>> interface, the motherboard is a Asrock.
>>>
>>> I habe tried to boot from a live CD (by pressing F11 as the short boot
>>> msg of the motherboard suggests), but with no avail,
>>> the boot menue doesn't appear. I don't see the Grub menue, the screen is
>>> momentarily blank.
>>> The computer insists on booting from the Adaptec.
>>>
>>> Is there any chance to interrupt the booting process? The other command
>>> windows (Alt-F2 .. Alt-F6) show only the line
>>> A start job is running for LSB: Raise network interfaces. ( ... /no
>>> limit)
>>
>> When you boot normally, do you get a GRUB menu flashing by? If
>> so, you can interrupt it there (try down-arrow) and edit the
>> boot line to change the init system to init=/bin/sh
>>
>> Then you can mount your root filesystem r/w
>> mount -o remount,rw /
>> and edit your iptables troubles away.
>>
>> -dsr-
>>
> Hi Dan,
>
> tanks for the help but I don't see a GRUB menu. Maybe it's there because I get
> an info
> from the screen: frequency out of range... After a dew seconds the system
> beeps once
> and continues booting.

This is where your initial problem is.  Apparently your monitor can't sync to
the resolution your system is using during boot.  If you can try another monitor
that might have a better sync range.  Maybe try to jump into the bios setup and
see if there are any options that would affect the video resolution like setting
a generic VGA mode.  I've had this happen but I have been able to ssh into the
machine after it boots to try different grub options.

> Kind regards,
> Hans

*...Bob*