Once a speaker is unmuted it may help to check the volume levels on all sound devices. I suspect when mute speaker is done, all volume levels also get set to 0, and sink for that speaker has its default value erased.

On Mon, 9 Jan 2017, Stefan Monnier wrote:

Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2017 22:42:39
From: Stefan Monnier <monn...@iro.umontreal.ca>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Mute mutes speaker,
    but Unmute does not unmute speaker channel (XFCE4)

But somehow would like to fix the unmute, not unmuting speaker channel
and don't know where to look.

If/when you do find out, please report here: I've had similar problems
on my laptops but could never figure out how those things are expected
to work nor how to change their behavior.

       Stefan