Gary Dale wrote:

> On 03/02/17 04:52 PM, RLewis wrote:
>> Gary Dale wrote:

>>> Verified my desktop's IP address and added it but when I go back to the
>>> KDE Connect Devices panel, it still isn't there even after a refresh.
>>>
>>> I don't see a menu on the lower right.
>> Sorry, my mistake -- I meant lower left.  It doesn't really matter since
>> it's the same menu as the upper right.
> I don't see any menu on the lower part of the screen. Everything is at
> the top. There's a 3-bar symbol top-left that bring out the "pair new
> device" dialog and there is the 3-dotmenu top-right that allows me to
> refresh, rename device or add devices by IP.

The lower left menu I mentioned is the phones Menu key, left of the Home
key.  It has the same dialogue as the top right.

>>> What I've got is something on the
>>> top left that when I press it, it shows me my phone and an option to
>>> "Pair new device" that simply takes me back to the Devices panel.
>>>
>>> My desktop's IP address remains in the Custom device list panel but
>>> never shows up anywhere else.
>>>
>>> I've verified that my phone is on my local network.
>>>
>>> I found kdeconnect-cli on my desktop but it also shows no devices.
>> It sounds like you've done everything correctly.  If both your phone and
>> PC
>> are connected to the network, I think it should just work.  The only
>> other suggestions I have are to add your hostname and/or your
>> <username>@<hostname> in the "Add devices by IP" screen.
>>
>> The KDE Connect Community Wiki doesn't have much information, but does
>> have a troubleshooting tip if you're behind a firewall.
>>
>> About your USB connection:  Do you have kio-mtp installed?  I can connect
>> my phone that way, too.  Just make sure that the phone's USB PC
>> Connection is set for MTP.
>>
> Thanks Robert but even adding the username@ didn't help.

I'm sorry to hear that you're still unable to get KDE Connect working.  I
tried another jessie desktop, installed KDE Connect, connected to the
network, launched KDE Connect on the phone, and that desktop (displaying my
<username>@<hostname>) just showed up under Available Devices.  I hope I
don't run into the same problem you're having when I upgrade to stretch.

I just checked the KDE Connect depends and see that sshfs is listed.  Do you
have openssh-server and/or openssh-client installed?  Just a thought.

> still
> re. kio-mtp: I installed it and it seems to make the phone behave
> better. However I'm still getting mtp protocol died messages. As for
> setting the USB PC connection to MTP, how do I do that? I can't find
> anything in the settings that looks like it controls that.

On my S4, with OS v. 5.01, after I connect the phone with the USB cable,
when I use the pull-down menu there is a notice that says:  "Connected as a
media device.  Touch for other USB options."  Tapping that notice takes me
to the USB PC connection page where I can choose between MTP or PTP
connections.

All the best,
Robert