Hi folks,

I understand that the predictable nic names can be turned off
using

        net.ifnames=0

on the kernel command line, but I wonder if there is a shell
script to actually predict the "enpYsZ" from the old style
"ethX" initially assigned by the kernel? Something like

        % predict_nic eth4
        enp12s1

There are some recipes I found on the net, but they all appear
questionable or "this_vendor systems only" or work only for
X=0 or look just like some attempt to start yet another flame
war.

Parsing dmesg output seems to be the most stable solution I
found by now.

Every helpful comment is highly appreciated.

Regards
Harri