I am upgrading from potato to woody (in anticipation of sarge),
having just upgraded my potato packages with the Debian potato
archives, and with the potato security archives.
I run dselect with the "apt" access method,
I update the list of packages,
and now I am in dselect's
   "2. [S]elect"
I make no changes/selections, merely pressing "enter".
Dselect recommends removing or purging 1258 packages of 1459 installed
packages, including numerous required packages like
   base-files
   base-passwd
   bash
   bsdutils
   debianutils
   dpkg
   fileutils
   libc6

Entering dselect's
   2. [S]elect  Request which packages you want on your system
and immediately pressing "enter",
or later after entering  "U" (set all to sUggested state),
I see the following first three lines for conflict resolution,
lines which BAFFLE ME,
   **- Req base     base-files   Debian base system miscellaneous files
   **- Req base     base-passwd  Debian Base System Password/Group Files
   **- Req base     bash         The GNU Bourne Again SHell
or, in verbose mode I see [excluding "Description"],
   Installed Old mark Marked for Priority Section Package
   --------- -------- ---------- ---------------- -------
   installed install  remove     Required base    base-files
   installed install  remove     Required base    base-passwd
   installed install  remove     Required base    bash

Clicking  "R" (Revert to state before this list), I see the expected,
   *** Req base  base-files   Debian base system miscellaneous files
   *** Req base  base-passwd  Debian Base System Password/Group Files
   *** Req base  bash         The GNU Bourne Again SHell

Following are the first few lines when I first enter dselect's
"2. [S]elect",  as expected,
    q All packages q
    qqq Updated packages (newer version is available) qqq
    qqqqq Updated Required packages qqqqq
    qqqqqqq Updated Required packages in section base qqqqqqq
 *** Req base     base-files   2.2.0       3.0.2
 *** Req base     base-passwd  3.1.10      3.4.1
 *** Req base     bash         2.03-6      2.05a-11

Following are corresponding lines from  "dpkg -l",  as expected,
   ii  base-files   2.2.0   Debian base system miscellaneous files
   ii  base-passwd  3.1.10  Debian Base System Password/Group Files
   ii  bash         2.03-6  The GNU Bourne Again SHell

The Release Notes for Woody,
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html
said
   "The recommended method of upgrading is to use the apt method
   with dselect"
Can anyone clarify why "dselect" recommends obliterating required packages?

Two years ago, I upgraded other computers from potato to woody
using instead apt-get.
Then, with  "apt-get  dist-upgrade",  I remember spending a couple
days fumbling through upgrade problems,
so I presume the Release Notes correctly recommend using "dselect".

My current potato distribution has the following package versions,
   libc6          2.1.3-25
   bash           2.03-6
   perl-5.005     5.005.03-7.2
   perl-base      5.004.05-1.1
   debconf        0.2.80.17
   dpkg           1.6.15
   libncurses5    5.0-6.0potato2
   libstdc++2.10  2.95.2-13.1

I have used Debian Linux since 1995, so I'm fairly well versed as a user
in dselect, dpkg, and apt-get, but I am in "Potato Hole"
with these "dselect" recommendations.

Should no one respond, I will return to using apt-get.

--
Jameson C. Burt, NJ9L   Fairfax, Virginia, USA
[EMAIL PROTECTED]       http://www.coost.com

LTSP.org:  magic "mysterious and awe-inspiring even though
                  we know they are real and not supernatural"