On Tuesday 07 March 2017 11:16:55 David Wright wrote:

> On Tue 07 Mar 2017 at 09:43:17 (-0500), Henning Follmann wrote:

> > > I wanted to add a formail line but the docs do not seem to cover
> > > that recipe. I want an email to gene@localhost when it sequesters
> > > a virii.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > What do you mean by "formail line"?
> > formail is a command to pipe a mbox thru procmail.
>
> Yes, but it's also used _by_ procmail during its processing.
> For example, here's a standard procmailrc recipe for eliminating
>
> messages with identical Message-IDs:
> :0 Wh: $HOME/msgid.lock
> :
> | formail -D 199999 $HOME/msgid.cache
>
> So Gene might be looking for a potted recipe for formail to do what he
> wants, whatever he means by "sequesters a virii", and recipes with
> formail in them might make good examples to hack at.
>
> The obvious place to start is procmailex: insert the safety net; then
> the example above shows the W code for checking the exit code of
> formail/virus-scanner/whatever before proceeding, then the vacation
> example would help with how to generate the desired email
> notification depending on the exit code. Remember to add the c flag
> so that the recipe is non-delivering: that means the actual (received)
> email will always drop through to the next recipe. Otherwise, piping
> through the virus-scanner might be interpreted as "delivery". After
> testing remove the safety net if desired.
>
> man procmail/procmailrc/procmailex/formail all work here on wheezy and
> jessie, so I'm not sure why he felt the need to put Alternative Facts
> into his Subject header.

Because the procmail web site has had a moving site message up since
sometime in 2014?

And I've been told repeatedly that "its dead Jim", try something else.
But I'm with you folks, for me it Just Works(TM) but I've long since
forgotten the how to write a new recipe part for it.

> Cheers,
> David.
>
> PS I dodged your bullet (mail-followup-to).

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)