On Mon 13 Mar 2017 at 16:27:30 +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> Brian <a...@cityscape.co.uk> writes:
>

> > There are seven instructions in the advice given. You haven't provided a
> >
> > response to any of them. If there is a problem with following what is
> >
> > required, please ask.
> >

> As the wiki suggests, I did:
>

>  # cupsctl --debug-logging

Good.

> .  Then I did:
>

> $ lpstat -t
>
> scheduler is running
>
> system default destination: Samsung_ML-191x_252x_Series

You have a Samsung ML-191x series B&W printer. It is not supported in

Debian. From where did you get the necessary drivers?

> device for Samsung_ML-191x_252x_Series:
> usb://Samsung/ML-191x%20252x%20Series?serial=Z2L9BABZ700571F.

Encouraging. CUPS has detected the printer is on a USB connection. There

should be no problem printing after your basic problem is sorted out.

> Samsung_ML-191x_252x_Series accepting requests since Sun 12 Mar 2017 07:44:58
> GMT
> printer Samsung_ML-191x_252x_Series is idle.  enabled since Sun 12 Mar 2017
> 07:44:58 GMT
>         Sending data to printer.

Also OK.

> Samsung_ML-191x_252x_Series-16 rodolfo         457728   Sat 11 Mar 2017
> 19:56:36 GMT
> Samsung_ML-191x_252x_Series-17 unknown           1024   Sat 11 Mar 2017
> 20:09:12 GMT
> Samsung_ML-191x_252x_Series-18 unknown         457728   Sat 11 Mar 2017
> 20:20:18 GMT
> Samsung_ML-191x_252x_Series-19 rodolfo         457728   Sun 12 Mar 2017
> 07:44:49 GMT

These are pending jobs. I can not imagine you want them. Remove with

'cancel -a -x'. (This is in the wiki, too).

> The file /var/log/cups/error_log is very long.  I noticed in it the following
>
> lines:
>

> D [07/Mar/2017:14:35:23 +0000] [Job 1] Started filter
> /usr/lib/cups/filter/pdftopdf (PID 4741)

This is the first thing that happens to any submitted file. You sent a

PDF file to the printer. No problem here.

> D [07/Mar/2017:14:35:23 +0000] [Job 1] Started filter
> /usr/lib/cups/filter/pdftops (PID 4742)

Eh? The printer does not recognise PostScript. It would print garbage if

it got it. I wonder why the filtering system thinks converting a PDF to

a PS file is needed. Is there any sign of "gstoraster" in your error_log?

> D [07/Mar/2017:14:35:23 +0000] [Job 1] Started filter
> /usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertosamsungspl (PID 4743)
> D [07/Mar/2017:14:35:23 +0000] [Job 1] Started backend
> /usr/lib/cups/backend/usb (PID 4744)
> D [07/Mar/2017:14:35:23 +0000] [Job 1] pdftops - copying to temp print file
> \"/var/spool/cups/tmp/0128658cb23ec\"
> D [07/Mar/2017:14:35:23 +0000] [Job 1] execv failed: No such file or
> directory
> D [07/Mar/2017:14:35:23 +0000] [Job 1] PID 4743
> (/usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertosamsungspl) stopped with status 102 (No
+such file or directory)

> D [07/Mar/2017:14:35:23 +0000] [Job 1] Hint: Try setting the LogLevel to
> "debug" to find out more.

Post the output of 'ls -l /usr/lib/cups/filter'.

--

Brian.