Hello Ben,

Thank you for your prompt response to my inquiry, and your kind assistance.

My comments in-line below:

On Sat, 13 May 2017 00:40:47 +0100, Ben Hutchings <b...@decadent.org.uk>
wrote:

>On Fri, 2017-05-12 at 21:26 +0000, Larry Dighera wrote:
>> Dear Mr. Hutchings,
>> Todays update appears to have caused my Debian Stretch Linux system
>> to fail to boot with this error message:
>>
>>     "Gave up waiting for suspend/resume device..."
>
>That (by itself) does not indicate a boot failure; it only means that
>resume from disk (hibernation) won't work.

Previous to the update, hibernation worked.

>Do any messages appear afterward?

Yes.  There is a bit after that.

    "Gave up waiting for root file system device"
or

    "Gave up waiting for suspend/resume device"

Then some suggestions presumably about how to address the issue:

    "Boot Args. Cat /proc/cmdline"
    something about "check root delay" perhaps not long enough...
    missing modules..."
    "UUID 2d182fb2... doesn't exist."

>> The Grub menu is still accessible, but I'm clueless how to return the
>> system to operational status.
>> Please provide complete step-by-step instructions to restore
>> successful system booting through the Grub menu.
>
>One of the 'recovery mode' item under Advanced Options will enable
>verbose logging to the screen and will perhaps get you to a shell.

Unfortunately, selecting the 'recovery mode' grub menu option is useless.
There is something about 'busybox' and a '(initramfs)' prompt(?), but the
system fails to respond to keyboard or mouse input at that point.  So
'recovery mode' appears to be useless.

However, by entering 'e' at the grub menu, I can edit the 'command line.  At
your suggestion above, I changed 'quite' to 'verbose', but nothing seems to
have changed when rebooting.

By entering 'c' at the grub menu, I can get a 'Grub>' prompt from which I am
able to 'ls' and 'cat' and probably a hundred or more other commands that
can be displayed with the 'help' command.  It is necessary to enter 'set
pager=1' to see them before they scroll off screen.  Entering 'help
<command>' provides some additional terse (cryptic) information about the
command.

I don't find any sort of editing command, and redirection '>>' attempts
fail.

Can you give me a clue to necessary commands to go about returning my system
to operational status from this 'Grub>' prompt?

>In any case, you should open a *new* bug report rather than appending
>to this one.
>
>Ben.

It was not my intent to open a bug report at all.  I apologize for any issue
I may have caused.

In the information at this link:
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=860543 you stated:

    "Is there a resume device specified in
    /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume and does it exist?"

I found /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume.  It contains the single entry:

    "RESUME=UUID=f5aa19f3-7707-4bab-bd18-15d6124a0147"

I have no idea where to find that file/device/?.

I just want my system to boot again.  Please assist me in reaching that
goal.

Best regards,
Larry

PS:
On that page, you also stated:

    > /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume exists and did not contain a valid
    > device. The problem still persists, if I enter a valid UUID, or remove
    > the file.

    This issue should only affect systems that have a nonexistent device
    specified in the configuration, or that have a swap device that isn't
    suitable as a resume device because it's not set up early enough.
    Previously we would only look for the resume device once, so this
    didn't hurt, but it also meant that resume was broken on some systems.

    Unfortunately, as you've seen, there isn't currently a way to
    completely disable use of a resume device when building the initramfs.
    It *is* possible to do so at boot time (kernel parameter 'noresume' or
    'resume=').

    I think I need to add:

    - The option to disable use of a resume device in the configuration
      (e.g. RESUME=none)
    - A warning on upgrade if the configured resume device doesn't exist or
      is unlikely to be available

    Ben.

Is that what I need to do?  If so, please provide step-by-step keystrokes I
need to enter at the "Grub>" prompt.