Frank,

On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 6:54 AM, Frank <zuiderd...@gmx.com> wrote:

> Op 25-05-17 om 23:36 schreef Sijis Aviles:
>
>> It seems that my qualifier of '=' isn't working as I expect. What am I
>> doing
>> wrong?
>>

> You appear to assume you can tell apt to ignore a newer version of one
> package by specifying a previous version of that package as a dependency of
> another package. You can't.

Oh bummer!

> apt will always go for the most recent version mentioned in the package
> list*), unless you explicitely tell it not to in the apt-get install
> command for that package. In this case apt wants to get app-configs
> 1.0-6~bbbb, notices my-app needs 1.0-5~aaa and tells you it can't install
> my-app because of that.
>
> I'm not sure what you're aiming for with those two versions of
> app-configs. You can only have one of them installed at a time anyway. If
> the machine you want to install my-app on doesn't need 1.0.6~bbbb, you
> could try
>
> apt-get install my-app app-configs=1.0-5~aaa

As suggested, I was able to tell apt to install the specific 1.0.5~aaa
package first and then I was able to install 'my-app' in a subsequent
command. This works but its not what I was expecting to do.

What I was trying to do was automatically build 'my-app' and 'app-configs'
(via Jenkins) every day and upload those .deb files to Artifactory in a
single repo. At some point in time (about once a week), I would want to
release 'my-app' and update its control file to use a specified version of
'app-configs' (probably not the latest), then I would use a script to
install this version of 'my-app', which would only require the specific
version of app-configs.

If I understand what you say, only 1 version of app-configs should be
available in the debian repo in order for this to work. If that's the case,
then what are my options? Does each daily build of 'my-app' and
'app-configs' go into a separate repository?

I do find it strange that I was able to use apt-get install
app-configs=1.0.5~aaa but I cannot specificy something similar through a
control file.

> You may have to 'hold' app-configs after that, because apt-get upgrade
> will 'see' the newer version and may want to remove my-app again (I'm not
> absolutely sure about this, as I'm tracking Testing so I always use
> dist-upgrade - which definitely will remove my-app).
>
> Regards,
> Frank
>

> *) I'm ignoring 'priority pinning' here, as we're talking about a single
> repository

I'm actually quite curious about this, as I was anticipating coping the
'released' my-app and app-configs into a separate repository for 'safer'
keeping.

Thanks again for an advice you can provide.

Sijis