On Thu, 15 Jun 2017, Jason wrote:
> I have a U.S. Robotics USR5639 USB modem. I am wondering how hard it
> is to get it to work with Linux. Using Mint 18.1.

> Bus 001 Device 006: ID 047e:2892 Agere Systems, Inc. (Lucent) Systems Soft
> Modem

Look for ltmodem and linmodem.  If you are very lucky, it is for that
generation of softmodems.  But last time I checked, it was for 2.6
kernels, you'd need its source, and to forward-port it.

Here's an starting point:
http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/

> Is it practical to try to make this work or should I just get a 'real'
> modem?

I'd get a real modem.

It is bad enough you'll waste a lot of CPU on crap USB-RS232 conversion,
running a full V.92 stack in kernel mode at RT priority on top is too
annoying for words.

--
  Henrique Holschuh