Hi,

had similar problem with debian9. After basic installation I installed serveral services und system haltet while running apt-get install.

We're running debian as virtual machines on ESX 6.5.

So, I've figured out, when you install a brand new Server together with ESX6.5 mode and vmxnet3 network-card, system stops when I try to install programs with apt-get install.

For testing purposes I've just installed a brand new server with ESX5.5 mode and e1000 virtual network card and everything worked fine for now.

Hope that helps!

Regards,

Jo.