On 06/23/2017 02:44 PM, Ralph Katz wrote:
Since upgrading my old Acer laptop from jessie to stretch this week, I
have several unresolved issues.  Any help would be appreciated.

1)  Sometimes unresponsive.  In up-to-date jessie, I could have two
instances of firefox-esr open with multiple tabs and get reasonable
response.  In stretch, sometimes performance is completely normal, but
at random intervals, the desktop becomes unresponsive as disk activity
takes over.  Top shows firefox very active and ps shows a number of
kworker processes recently started.  But closing one browser and
reducing open tabs does not seem to matter.  How can I identify the
offending processes?  No hints appear in log files using the Linux 3.16
kernel.

2) Returning from xscreensaver screen blanking sometimes shows the
lightdm log in screen.  Ctrl-alt-F7 once or twice can get my session
back after an annoying pause.  This never happened on jessie.

Are you sure, maybe the screen was turned off, maybe even hibernating. Me, I tap the power-button, it will start reboot or come out of hibernation. I'm pretty sure there are some new shortcut keys to press, but I can't remember where I saw them.

3) With the new Linux 4.9.0-3-amd64 kernel standard with stretch, the
problems above were worse; response was periodically lagging, and every
return from screensaver caused this in the syslog:

Jun 19 14:17:08 spike2 kernel: [ 2268.384149] [drm:drm_atomic_helper_commit_clea
nup_done [drm_kms_helper]] *ERROR* [CRTC:26:pipe A] flip_done timed out
Jun 19 14:17:08 spike2 kernel: [ 2268.484810] ------------[ cut here ]----------
--
Jun 19 14:17:08 spike2 kernel: [ 2268.484859] WARNING: CPU: 1 PID: 2491 at
/build/linux-hZ3RQX/linux-4.9.30/drivers/gpu/drm/drm_irq.c:1254

ralph@spike2 ~$ zgrep "Call Trace" /var/log/syslog* |wc
    222    1899   17536

Going back to Linux 3.16.0-4-amd64 avoids all that.  Should I file a
bug?  Against which package?

3) The sound volume up/down function keys [Fn up/down arrow] no longer
respond (xfce4).  However the screen brightness keys function normally
[Fn left/right arrow].  The mute sound function key is also ignored [Fn
F8].  I can control volume with the mouse using pavucontrol or
gkrellm-volume.

I find nothing in the docs to enable these keys.  On the net, I found a
suggestion that only caused the keyboard setting app to run 100% cpu.

https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-control-volume-using-keyboard-shortcut-keys-in-Debian-Xfce

Again, any suggestions are welcome.  Thanks!

In KDE it's a whole new infrastructure and in Gnome too from what I understand, the term regression has been used a lot these last two years while testing, most problems come from older hardware, on one i965 system I found the workaround was to remove the Debian linux-image-amd64, linux-headers-amd64, firmware-linux* and install Ubuntu 16.04-xenial linux-image-generic, linux-headers-generic, that made for smooth booting to the desktop and no regression. Good luck!

Cheers,
--
Jimmy Johnson

Debian Buster - Plasma 5.8.7 - Kernel 4.9.0-3 - EXT4 at sda24
Registered Linux User #380263