On 08/05/2017 07:38 PM, Richard Hector wrote:
On 05/08/17 07:52, Jape Person wrote:
It's funny (in much the same way that hitting your thumb with a hammer
is funny) that the Brother support site does indeed list a later
firmware update than the one I installed when I first got the printer.
If one looks at the driver update history at the site, the version
number jumps from 1.07 to 1.09. I have 1.08.

Perhaps 1.08 was so buggy they decided to withdraw it altogether?

Richard

Yup! That's what I was inferring from their site and implying here. But they don't have to allow downloads of a bad firmware version to keep a record of its release (and it's "features" and flaws).

That sort of information can be pretty important to a customer. It could help me decide whether or not it makes sense to go ahead with an upgrade to 1.09. As it is, I don't have even a clue as to whether or not 1.09 is meant to fix the resolution misreporting issue -- or anything else that might be affecting me.

I only have experience applying one update to the printer. I had to buy a Windows computer to accomplish the update, and the update didn't provide any improvement whatsoever that I can see in the functionality of the printer. It may, in fact, have caused some of the weirdness I've seen. I only got it because the Brother site recommended the update to improve paper-handling (eliminate smudging and paper wrinkling). Paper-handling on this printer has, in my experience, always been excellent.

That doesn't exactly encourage me to proceed with another update. I'm spoiled by the changelogs I can see for every package in my Debian installations. Most of them are excellent. A few contain very little in the way of specific information, except for the fact that they always provide version numbers which I can use to find out what's changed from upstream.

Heh. I don't want to go through this silly process (mechanically / logistically difficult in my little condo) just to go to their site a few months from now to see the firmware version number in their update history jump from 1.07 to 1.10.

;-)

I'm waiting to see if there's any fallout from people going to 1.09.