On 08/14/2017 03:27 AM, Michael Lange wrote:
Hi,

On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 04:11:31 +0000 (UTC)
Long Wind <longwi...@yahoo.com> wrote:

even simple task like recording from line in can't be donethough i try
very hard mencoder has many advanced featuresall seem useless

have you checked if your sound card's IGain is muted or set to a very low
level? Here I can set "Line" as capture device but the recording level is
determined only by the setting of "IGain". These things may differ from
card to card though, so I'd recommend to use alsamixer or the gui-mixer of
your choice to check the settings of the other mixer lines.

Pulse audio sits on top of alsa. Use alsamixer to select the sound source (f6) and check that the input is not muted. If you see 'mm' it is muted so hit the 'm' key to unmute it ( you should see '00') then raise it's volume level to max using the up-arrow key. Hit 'esc' to exit. Then use pavucontrol open the 'configuration' tab then select the sound device. If it has stereo speakers then select stereo plus analog mono input. Check the input devices tab to select your desired input device. Leave this open and started your graphical recording app. Start recording and check the recoding tab on pavucontrol. You should see the audio level flickering.

Keep in mind that this is how stock audio is installed to Debian. If you are following ten year old alsa setups of config files from the net, you will be stuck and virtually punching alsa repeatedly in the face. Using pulse you can have many sound input devices and you can select between them on the fly.

I have five sound devices and I use pavucontrol to disable three of them leaving my USB 7.1 sound system to be output only and my USB headphones to be stereo and analog mono input. Click click, dead simple. Again, if alsamixer isn't set correctly, pulse doesn't stand a chance. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html