Gerard Ceraso wrote:

> I am planning on getting a new video card. I have a nvidia geforce2 right
> now and it works great under linux. I have not had any problems. I have
> noticed that some of the Ati cards seem to have a bit better performance
> in some of the tests on the hardware review sites. I was wondering how the
> Ati support for linux is. My system is currently has an Asus A7N8X Deluxe
> with an AMD 2400+ and 1G of 3200 ram.

Hi Gerard!

I recommend you to buy a video card with a nVidia chipset. Why?
I mailed the ATI support in this summer regarding their linux drivers, read
the answer below. For me this was very disappointing. Now there are drivers
for radeon based video cards, but I think nVidias driver perform much
better under linux.

>Regarding "Linux, _RADEON_9500_PRO, _AGP, _Installation.
>> In this chart (http://www.ati.com/developer/altoschart.pdf) it is said,
>> that ATI itself provide 3D support for my Radeon card (3D support
>> starting from ... are provided by ATI). But the driver web formular told
>> me graphic driver for Linux are not supported!? DRI-Project modules and
>> XFree 4.2 driver do not support r300 chips. XFree 4.3 only support 2D
>> for Radeon 9500Pro."
>
>Regardless ATI does NOT support Linux or XFree86. (the drivers are released
>as a courtesy)

-Frank