The answer is correct - IANA maintains the list of ports. You may also look
at the services file nmap maintains or ask showdan what it's seen publicly
if you want a public popularity contest of ports.

As it is, I'm pretty sure you're over engineering this. Have a config file
that has a port range option and be done with it. Also, you didn't mention
needing <1024 so pick a port and be done with it (what everyone else does).

Lastly, certain ports are so old, their intended services shouldn't be
online anymore (see the first 20 ports or 90-110 - off the top of my head -
not sitting here and going through them) or if the service probably won't
be used in ICS or on a box designed to be an internet backbone, use one of
those.