On 24 January 2018 at 16:19, Greg Wooledge <wool...@eeg.ccf.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 03:49:08PM +0000, Michael Fothergill wrote:
> > If you can be sid and experimental together then I guess [...]
>
> Experimental is not a release.  You can't "be experimental".  It is
> merely a place where individual packages are uploaded, when they are
> considered "not ready to be in unstable yet".
>
> Typically the package maintainer EXPECTS these packages to have bugs,
> and wants focused help from people who are familiar with the package
> to find and squish them.  Or, the package may be uploaded in a "known
> broken" condition because it could still be useful in highly specialized
> circumstances, where the new features outweigh the known bugs.
>
> The packages in experimental do NOT automatically migrate into unstable
> or testing.  They are not part of the normal package lifecycle.
>
> To use a package from experimental, you must download it directly, and
> install it directly.  You don't use apt or its cousins, unless it's
> to backfill dependencies (apt-get -f install) from your actual release.

​I fired up Debian stretch here and ran the following:​

​r​
oot@mikef-PC:/etc/apt# apt-get update
Ign:1 http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian stretch InRelease
Hit:2 http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian stretch Release
Hit:3 http://security.debian.org stretch/updates InRelease
Reading package lists... Done
root@mikef-PC:/etc/apt# apt-get -t experimental install
linux-headers-4.15.0-rc8-all-amd64
Reading package lists... Done

​and got the following error:​

E: The value 'experimental' is invalid for APT::Default-Release as such a
release is not available in the sources

​Mysources file looks like this:​

root@mikef-PC:/etc/apt# more sources.list
#

###### Debian Main Repos
deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ stretch main experimental contrib
non-free

###### Debian Update Repos
deb http://security.debian.org/ stretch/updates main contrib non-free

deb-src http://security.debian.org/ stretch/updates main contrib non-free

root@mikef-PC:/etc/apt#

Is the error caused by me trying to run apt at all here ie I should use
some other command to install the linux image file?

Comments appreciated.

Michael Fothergill​