On 27 January 2018 at 13:38, Michael Lange <klappn...@freenet.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sat, 27 Jan 2018 13:12:13 +0000
> Michael Fothergill <michael.fotherg...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > ​I think I will sign up on the gcc gnu help page and ask people if they
> > have a test case file I can run to 100% confirm the GCC 8 compiler is
> > running properly.​
> > ​Once I am convinced it is then the next stage is to try to talk to the
> > developers who maintain the make-kpkg program.
>
> are you still using gcc-8? Here this one didn't work at all for me,
> compiling always aborted early with compiler errors. It worked
> immediately though after I removed ggc-8 and upgraded gcc-7 to v. 7.3
> from sid.

​In my case after I took you helpful advice and installed libelf-dev in GCC
8 (which I am still using)  the crash I had went away.........
​
I think now GCC 8 is close to working OK.

Perhaps it needs another little nudge or some other package we don't know
about.

I have sent the gnu gcc help people the following email:

**************************

Dear All,

I am running debian unstable on an amd64 kaveri box.

I recently installed GCC 8 from the Debian experimental site:

https://packages.debian.org/experimental/devel/gcc-8

I also installed libelf-dev.

It did run correctly without it.

I have been using it to try to compile and install linux kernel 4.14.15
using the
debian package make-kpkg.

The output from doing this is here:

https://pastebin.com/sgrhdCKW

I copied over the config file from/boot and ran make-clean and the
command:  yes "" | make oldconfig before running make-kpkg.

Kernel compilations I do in gentoo usually take a while.

This ran too quickly I think.

Something is not quite right here.

Perhaps some more depedent packages needed to be installed to make GCC8 run
happily.

Do you have a test file I can compile that will check whether GCC 8 is
really running correctly?

The discussions on these two threads are relevant:

We are all trying to compile kernels that defeat the meltdown and spectre
vulnerabilities.

Comments appreciated.

Regards

​MF​