On 02/13/2018 08:27 PM, rhkra...@gmail.com wrote:
On Tuesday, February 13, 2018 08:06:52 PM Doug wrote:
On 02/13/2018 04:00 PM, Nicholas Geovanis wrote:
Does anyone have a MIDI-to-USB adapter they could recommend for Debian
and/or linux?
This is just for a point-to-point connection from a Yamaha keyboard to
a laptop. Software on the laptop remains undetermined, probably some
combination of Rhythmbox, CSound, Supercollider and god knows what
else. Thanks......Nick
Look for a PS2 to USB adapter. I have one that allows me to plug an IBM
model M keyboard into a Dell laptop, and it works perfectly. (No
manufacturer's name on it--it just says
"Made in China" like so much else these days.
I bought a USB to MIDI adapter on ebay.  I didn't save the URL, but the
description is / was: "USB IN-OUT MIDI Interface Cable Converter PC to Music
Keyboard Adapter Cord 2017".

It was about $6, with free shipping, and it probably came from the far east
(most of the stuff I buy on ebay comes from the far east)--it may take 30 days
or so to arrive.  (There may be a US supplier of the same thing, at a higher
price.)

(I thought I bought two, one as a spare, but my notes don't say that, and I
don't immediately see the other one--if I bought 2, I got the 2 for $6 (i.e.,
$3 each).)

I'm using it to interface from Rosegarden on my PC to a Yamaha TG-100.   At
some point I might also hook up a MIDI keyboard.  I use the TG-100 to output
songs for me to practice my "singing" ;-)

For my purposes, if there is any latency, I don't notice it.  (OTOH, I have a
problem with Rosegarden displaying "long" lyrics--I joined a Rosegarden
maillist to ask for help on that.)

Sorry for brain-fog! I didn't realize you were talking about a MUSIC keyboard!

--doug