Hi.

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 06:56:01AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 February 2018 01:00:52 Reco wrote:
>
> >     Hi.

> > > Oh, for gawd's sake. Is there not an RFC for local domains ?
> >
> > There is, see RFC 7788 and RFC 8244. ".home", while being
> > controversial, is probably fine. And there's ".test", which is
> > perfectly fine as far as RFC 6761 concerned.
>
> I don't think it matters as long as it does not resolve external to ones
> home network. There's no domain ending in .den, so 30 years ago I picked
> the smartest animal I ever met for my home domain. Zero problems.

Four years ago there was no TLD called ".dev". Then Google paid some
money, and ".dev" TLD now belongs to them. With appropriate NS records
and all the jazz.

The amount of pain and suffering this small step brought on countless
web-developers (who thought that using "fake" and "unused" TLD is a good
idea) cannot be measured by mere mortal.

Morale of the story is - don't use it unless it's in RFC. Or being "web
developer" sucks. Or both.

Reco