On Tuesday 27 February 2018 06:45:36 Sven Hartge wrote:

> Dave Sherohman <d...@sherohman.org> wrote:
> > I've just made my first foray into creating systemd service files,
> > and, although I got them to work with manual startup, they failed
> > miserably on reboot.  A short investigation revealed that this is
> > because /var/run is not persistent across reboots.  (It's a link to
> > /run, which is a tmpfs mount.)
> >
> > The service file runs a shell script which starts the actual daemon
> > (a starman server).  The script runs as an unprivileged user, since
> > we don't want starman running as root.  However, /run is only
> > writable by root, so starman can't create its pidfile.
>
> You need a config file in /etc/tmpfiles.d to setup a directory with
> the correct permissions below /run. (Or, if the software is packaged,
> in /usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/).
>
> Grüße,
> Sven.

Just curious Sven. Why was this not supplied as a manpage or something,
as far back as wheezy?

I could fix the perms on /var, and restart everything that failed, and it
would be fine until the next reboot, which reset the perms so /var was
only writable as root. Didn't anyone think of the stuff that runs as a
user? Fetchmail/procmail/nut and heyu are all killed by that, so I
edited the configs to put their logfiles in ~/me/log. Works a treat
after also fixing logrotate to access them there. My thoughts on the
geniuses that decreed that aren't generally printable.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)