On 2018-02-27 13:29:09, David Wright wrote:
> On Tue 27 Feb 2018 at 19:20:09 (+0100), Martin S. Weber wrote:
> > (...)
> > You're not exactly supposed to call systemd-tmpfiles yourself.
> > systemd-tmpfiles(8) documents the systemd services that call
> > systemd-tmpfiles(8).
> > During configuration development, it might be helpful for the administrator
> > manually verify their configuration though, so let's rejoice this manpage
> > exists.
>
> I don't believe that's true. For example, with stretch, Debian no
> longer sets up xconsole. The instructions in
> /usr/share/doc/rsyslog/README.Debian
> show how to do this using the files provided under
> /usr/share/doc/rsyslog/examples.
> During that, one types
> # systemd-tmpfiles --create xconsole.conf
> BTW, xconsole is one that goes in /dev.

I don't see this as contradictory to what I wrote (and how I understand it,
as a "mere" systemd user).

So yeah, during configuration development you'd run it manually, throw the file
into the correct spot (/etc in that case, I suppose) and future boots will
then no longer require manual interaction your behalf, i.e., you'd run the
command once, to get the tmp file(s) up during your current boot (i.e., after
systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service has already run) but rely on s-t-s.service
from then on.

Regards,
-Martin