On Wed, Mar 07, 2018 at 11:54:43AM +0100, epsilon...@tutanota.com wrote:
> 7. Mar 2018 11:27 by to...@tuxteam.de:
>
> > I can't reproduce, either. Once the chown to root happens, non-root
> > user can't touch files in directory. Ext4.
>
> I double checked. Sorry the previous example was not good. To reproduce the
> issue, you have to create another directory inside the top one. Here is a
> working example:
>
> # terminal A
>
> su
>
> mkdir /opt/experiment/
>
> chown aristo:aristo /opt/experiment
>
> mkdir /opt/experiment/apple
>
> chown aristo:aristo /opt/experiment/apple
>
> # terminal B,
>
> whoami # aristo
>
> cd /opt/experiment/apple
>
> touch aaa # OK

So far so good. Not surprising, IMO.

> # terminal A
>
> chown root:root /opt/experiment
>
> chmod 700 /opt/experiment
>

> # terminal B
>
> pwd # Gives /opt/experiment/apple
>

> touch bbb # OK bbb is created

Also OK. Or is that surprising to you? Aristo has write permissions for
apple.

> cd /opt/experiment/apple # Gives permission denied

That's also OK. While aristo has permissions for apple (x is relevant
here), it hasn't for experiment, so it can't "traverse" it.

> # new terminal C
>
> cd /opt/experiment/apple # Denied
>
> touch /opt/experiment/apple/ccc # Denied

Same as above: the resolution of the whole path requires traversing
each path's element in turn, and it fails at "experiment". There's
even a man page for that: see "man path_resolution" (part of the
manpages package).

> Note that, after chmod 700, in terminal B you can still create files,
> although you cannot cd into apple.

Yes, it is supposed to work like that.

Cheers
- -- tomás