On Fri 23 Mar 2018 at 19:13:54 (+0000), Brian wrote:
> On Fri 23 Mar 2018 at 12:01:42 -0500, David Wright wrote:
>
> > I venture to suggest that many (most?) .home users will be using their
> > ISP's smarthost, which would mean that the ISP (a) usually insist on
> > authentication and (b) and likely to have issued the network name
> > (like ip70-179-161-106.fv.ks.cox.net) themselves.
>
> "most" is a very reasonable estimate. "insist" is less reasonable
> because the user will already have had to be authenticated to be on
> the network. There would be little point in cox.net asking for more
> credentials to send mail. Once you are on my network, mail is just
> a service offered to a user.

BT didn't require a password to login to bthome...@btbroadband.com,
presumably as they knew which wire you were on (or you wouldn't get
any phone calls). However, they did require your individual username
and password for email submission. It looks like it hasn't changed.
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44917/~/what-are-the-settings-for-outgoing-and-incoming-bt-email-servers%3F

Cox looks as though its setup is just the same.

I agree with your common sense argument that were you to authenticate
login, it would be futile to then require authentication again to
submit emails. But then, that was my reasoning for ISPs not worrying
about the HELO string if authentication was obligatory anyway.

Cheers,
David.