On Sun 15 Apr 2018 at 08:55:45 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> I wish to do an _*EXTREMELY*_ minimalist install of Debian to a USB flash
> drive (aka /dev/sdb1) assuming use as a MBR device.
>
> I currently use the i386 flavor of Stretch.
> My hardware allows choosing to boot from a flash drive.
>
> I suspect that if using deboostrap the closest I can come is using
> "--variant=minbase" which apparently installs apt. My definition of
> "minimalist" would prefer not to.

I decided to answer this post without equating "idiosyncratic" with
"bonkers".

apt is Priority: important. Try removing it from any Debian system.
For installing, your definition of "minimalist" is of no importance
or consequence.

> For my definitely idiosyncratic purposes *absolutely NOTHING* but grub
> related tools will _ever_ be run from this device.
>
> What are the trade-offs of choosing between debootstrap and grml-debootstap?
> I understand that either way I have some reading to do ;/

Does this relate to your suspicions? Or, is it an unrelated question?

--
Brian.