Thanks John for confirming how things are supposed to work, that helps
because it narrows things down and I don't need to wonder what is the
correct way. In MIPS it turns out choices 10 11 is the default.
Problem averted/bypassed.

We're not going to solve it here, but its still weird. Entering 10 11
on x86 is the first thing I tried, and gnome and the rest were still
installed. The text installer is weird, sometimes I enter number,
Enter and am asked the same question again.

Thanks Dan for the encouragement. Much appreciated too.

Alan