On Sun, 13 May 2018, Richard Owlett wrote:

> <snip>
> The result I wish to achieve is to click on the icon for either GParted or
> Synaptic *WITHOUT* being asked for a password (either root's or user's).
>
> I've found vague hints that adding a line to my local /etc/sudoers file
> such as
>   richard     ALL = /usr/sbin/gparted , /usr/sbin/synaptic
> would accomplish my goal.
> Is that correct?
><snip>

I think that might work if clicking each icon actually runs those
commands from each .desktop file.  Maybe you should look in them and
check?  Try looking for gparted.desktop and synaptic.desktop in
/usr/share/applications

I don't think they really run as root, but could be wrong.  You can adjust
policykit if they are using some pkexec commands instead.  I think editing
pk is a better idea than running gui apps as root, or with sudo.