On Tue 15 May 2018 at 23:05:10 (-0700), Diagonal Arg wrote:
> On my first tries with the Debian installer, I am struggling with the limited
> resources for installing to encrypted disks.  I am using the same technique I
> have used with Ubuntu, but failing at the last step:
>
> I create my luks disk(s) before-hand, then run the installer.  I find I have
> to anna-install cryptsetup-udeb, as there is no such choice in "Load
> Installer Modules".  Dropping to a shell, opening the disk, and  re-detecting
> hard drives allows me to carry out the installation (as long as there's a
> filesystem in the mapped device), but on reboot I'm at an initramfs without
> cryptsetup.  So I use a debian-live to pivot into the system to create a
> crypttab.  I find I also have to install cryptsetup.  Then I run
> update-initramfs.  Here is where I'm stuck.  The new initramfs still does not
> include cryptsetup.  Why is it not recognizing the crypttab?

Are you not seeing the last line in this screen excerpt?

  ┌────────────────────┤ [?] Load installer components from CD
├────────────────────┐
  │
    │
  │ All components of the installer needed to complete the install will be
loaded   │
  │ automatically and are not listed here. Some other (optional) installer
    │
  │ components are shown below. They are probably not necessary, but may be
    │
  │ interesting to some users.
    │
  │
    │
  │ Note that if you select a component that requires others, those components
    │
  │ will also be loaded.
    │
  │
    │
  │ Installer components to load:
    │
  │
    │
  │    [ ] choose-mirror: Choose mirror to install from (menu item)
 ↑  │
  │    [ ] crypto-dm-modules-4.9.0-2-686-di: devicemapper crypto module
 ▮  │

Cheers,
David.