On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 09:24:27PM +0200, john doe wrote:
On 5/16/2018 9:04 PM, dep wrote:
On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 2:44 PM, john doe <johndoe65...@mail.com> wrote:

On 5/16/2018 6:25 PM, dep wrote: > greetings. > > i've tried my best to search the list archives for the answer to this
and have not gotten the search function to deliver . . . anything. > > here's the issue. i have one of the new
"gemini" devices, a psion-like smartphone-pda-computer that runs android and linux. i'm of course running linux. the
linux available for it is a derivative of stretch arm64. it uses systemd, my first encounter with that not-universally-loved
arrangement. > > the device has 64gb of onboard storage and a microSD slot, in which i've placed a 128gb microSD card
formatted ext4. to reduce write wear on the device's internal memory, it's my hope to put /home or at least /[users] on the microSD
card. this of course requires mounting it at boot. > > i've been much of a week searching and i cannot find any way to
configure this to automount in systemd. i do not even know if under systemd it must be mounted to a mountpoint or if it's handled
at the /dev level. so what was once a trivial configuration has become a more complicated one, with the possibility of bricking the
device -- which i'd just as soon not do. > > can anyone here either give or point to clear and i hope simple instructions for
configuring the card to mount at boot? alternately, is there systemd-friendly disk management software? the disk managers i'm
familiar with do not seem to work with systemd. > > thanks in advance. > I might be missing something here but why not
using the fstab file? -- John Doe

because there is no /etc/fstab.

1)  Fstab could be located somewhere else (find / -iname fstab -type f)
2)  What happens if you try to use /etc/fstab file?
3)  Anything in the log for a missing fstab file?
4) Use a systemd service file to mount it at boot (Automatic mounting of additional volumes).

I'm on Stretch with systemd and a fstab file.

systemd doesn't actually use /etc/fstab for mounting drives. Instead, as with everything, it uses a unit file, specifically a *.mount file. "man systemd.mount" will give you all the gory details. Under the systemd regime, you CAN create a mount by creating a *.mount file in /etc/systemd/system.

However, before you go doing that, consider that systemd ALSO comes with a program called "systemd-fstab-generator". Contrary to its name, this generates unit files FROM an fstab (rather than generating an fstab). Therefore, following the Principle of Least Surprise, the current thinking is to continue to maintain your mountpoints in /etc/fstab and let systemd do the translation on the fly. In summary, then, while you CAN run systemd without /etc/fstab, that file is still recommnded as the expected configuration file for mountpoints.

--
For more information, please reread.