[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sebastia Altemir) writes:

> My LINEX (Spanish Debian with 2.4.20 kernel) instaled ok,
> but the ethernet card was not detected, so nothing (eth0) was instaled.
>
> "lspci -v" says "02.0c.0 MYSON Tech Inc : unknown device 0803".
>
> If I run "modprobe fealnx", it runs OK (lsmod displays (unused))

Two ways to do this: either add 'fealnx' on a line by itself in
/etc/modules, which has a list of modules that get loaded at boot
time.  Or, add 'alias eth0 fealnx' in a file in /etc/modutils (maybe
create a file there named with your hostname) and run update-modules
as root; this causes the driver to get loaded when you try to bring up
the et0 network interface.

> then "ifconfig eth0 1.2.3.4 ..." goes ok ( lsmod display "(1)"),
> and I can "ping" near computers.

You need to edit /etc/network/interfaces; read interfaces(5) for
details, or see /usr/share/doc/ifupdown.  Having set up that file
correctly, 'ifup eth0' will bring up and configure the interface,
'ifdown eth0' will take it down.

--
David Maze         [EMAIL PROTECTED]      http://people.debian.org/~dmaze/
        -- Abra Mitchell