On 5/26/18, Pétùr <peturv...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Thanks, I didn't know this new "full-upgrade" command.
>>>
>>> Is "apt full-upgrade" equivalent to "apt-get dist-upgrade" (or apt
>>> dist-upgrade)?
>
>> More or less. Apt-get is actually a bit less intelligent, but in the
>> case of upgrades of very large numbers of packages (400+), that seems to
>> work better. It has been recommended for several version upgrades in
>> preference to aptitude.
>>
>> I haven't used apt, but I've used aptitude to upgrade long-neglected
>> unstable installations, and I've known it to run overnight without
>> finding a solution.
>>
>> For smaller numbers of packages, aptitude (and presumably apt) is
>> generally quicker at reaching a solution, apt-get may have to be run a
>> few times with selected packages to break an impasse.
>
> I don't use aptitude. I use only apt and apt-get but I believe apt is
> just a shortcut for apt-get. `apt update` is equivalent for me to
> `apt-get update` and `apt dist-upgrade` to `apt-get dist-upgrade`
> (correct me if I am wrong).

On occasion, I'm able to interchangeably use a suggest apt command
with apt-get instead. That's most likely not 100%, though. Just means
I got lucky a time or ten. :)

> My question was if apt (or apt-get) dist-upgrade was equivalent of apt
> (or apt-get) full-upgrade?

I can't directly answer your question, but I *could* at least grab
something from "man". :)

>From "man apt-get" (I only found dist-upgrade referenced there):

dist-upgrade : dist-upgrade in addition to performing the function of
upgrade, also intelligently handles changing dependencies with new
versions of packages; apt-get has a "smart" conflict resolution
system, and it will attempt to upgrade the most important packages at
the expense of less important ones if necessary. The dist-upgrade
command may therefore remove some packages. The /etc/apt/sources.list
file contains a list of locations from which to retrieve desired
package files. See also apt_preferences(5) for a mechanism for
overriding the general settings for individual packages.

>From "man apt" (I only found full-upgrade referenced there):

full-upgrade (apt-get(8)): full-upgrade performs the function of
upgrade but will remove currently installed packages if this is needed
to upgrade the system as a whole.

*hm.* :)

Kind of sounds at least very similar, just that description is not as
verbose for "man apt". The "man apt-get" blurb helps *me* feel a
little more confident that I *might* better understand what *might* be
about to happen if I go that route.

With respect to "man apt-get" specifically suggesting/highlighting
"apt_preferences(5)"... the fun would be in determining what
individual packages might be direly affected such that an overriding
mechanism would be necessary.

"apt_preferences(5)" wasn't likewise specifically mentioned directly
related to "full-upgrade" in "man apt", but there was a helpful
bottom-of-the-page reference that did still point users toward "man 5
apt_preferences". It's then up to us users to heed those additionally
suggested manpages as potentially being important to whatever we may
be trying to accomplish. :)

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey