On Sat, 16 Jun 2018 20:19:15 +0100 Brian sent:

> On Sat 16 Jun 2018 at 12:06:24 +0200, Siard wrote:
>
> > Now in some local list, I've heard someone maintain that starting X
> > with startx is very old, untested, deprecated, certainly in a
> > systemd environment. A display manager would control various things
> > concerning your login session in cooperation with systemd.
> > I've never heard of that. Is it true, should one refrain from using
> > startx nowadays?
>
> Old? Indeed. Prehistoric even. :) That's its charm.
>
> Untested? Not at all; many test it all the time
>
> Deprecated? By whom? And why?
>
> Refrain from using it? It works well on Debian.

        After contemplation, my reply is:

I use only startx with verbosity. So I can see if the boot lags or
stalls or stops and where, on all Debian installs. Have used an
alternative GUI start system [display manager] many years ago, for a
few days, just to see what it did. I suppose they still have a twirling
thingy on the monitor while the machine boots?

Way back in the mists of time, when windows was still used, changed
windows to start verbose as well. However, it was hardly verbose. Very
secretive that O/S.

Startx works a treat. May it be long available. But may there also be
choice, for those who wish to go another way.

Be well,
Charlie

--
        Registered Linux User:- 329524

        If anything in nature strikes you as ugly, you are not
        appreciating its diversity. ..anon

        Debian GNU/Linux - Magic indeed.