On Fri, 29 Jun 2018 23:59:50 +0200
Dominik George <naturesha...@debian.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 09:04:16PM +0100, Joe wrote:
> > Anyone know of a webmail that works on stretch?
> >
> > I've just spent half an afternoon trying first roundcube then
> > prayer.
> >
> > Roundcube works (allegedly) with apache. I'm not an expert on
> > apache2, but as far as I can see, there is an apache2.conf existing
> > and enabled for roundcube, and it leads via an alias to a real
> > index.php in the right place. I just get a 404, and I've tried with
> > and without a trailing slash and a final index.php. Yes, I've
> > restarted apache2, several times, and my other php stuff on the
> > server works.
>
> So, Roundcube works like a charm here.
>
> Are you willing to get down to „I seem unable to set it up“ rather
> than „webmail in Debian is shit“?  If so, we could certainly proceed
> to finding out why you fail setting it up 😜.

Of course. It's been around for a while, and if it didn't work for
anybody, it would have been fixed by now. But much of my time was
spent poking around the web for clues, without success, so I've asked
here in case there's a simple 'ah, you forgot to do xxxx' that I
haven't found.

This is a web problem, nothing to do with roundcube, but as I said, as
far as I can see, the bits are in place for apache2 to work, I just
can't see why it isn't. This isn't the first alias/symlink php thing
I've had trouble with, but previously the cause has been obvious, a
missing or incorrect symlink, a filename wrong. For example, I've found
references to 'roundcubemail' as part of the calling URL, but the
apache2.conf file alias is clearly just 'roundcube'. I've tried both,
of course, just in case...

As for prayer, that just plain looks wrong, as if someone has taken an
in-house program from UofC and just dropped it into the Debian
repository, without actually adding the stuff to make it install
properly. I'm genuinely curious as to whether that works for anyone.
I've just replied here about mariadb, which in its early days in
Debian, also wasn't 'plumbed in' properly, so I know it can happen. But
there are a few more avenues to explore before I raise a bug report.

--
Joe