On 07/11/2018 01:10 AM, debian-user-digest-requ...@lists.debian.org wrote:
On 7/10/18 3:28 AM, Jonathan Dowland wrote:
On Fri, Jul 06, 2018 at 04:54:53PM -0400, Matthew Crews wrote:
Separate partitions
Pros: if your / partition drive fails, it does not take /home with it
You are conflating drives and partitions, here. Both partitions could be
on the same physical drive, and a drive failure would affect both in
that case.

True, the main reason you would want /home to be in a separate partition
is to put it on a separate physical drive. However, random file system
corruption could still theoretically take out the / partition without
actually damaging the device. In that case, /home being separate would
spare your data.

Another reason you would want a separate /home partition is to use a
separate file system. For example, you could run / as BTRFS, while /home
would be XFS or ext4.

Reminds me back in the day long ago when I used to dual-boot Windows and Linux. I had a /data partition (not /home) where I had formatted it NTFS. And that is where I put data I wanted to share between the two Operating Systems.