On 7/15/18, deloptes <delop...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Carl Fink wrote:
>
>> May we assume you tried switching repos? Because the only times I've
>> seen that, a particular repository was unreachable.
>
> no, I have not switched anything, but your answer helped me rewind the tape
> back and yes I have added one source (Signal) by myself and the stupid
> skype package adds it's source each time you install it, so I removed both
> and now it works. I would bet it hangs on the Signal source.
>
> thank you very much for the hint

There's also this that JUST occurred:

https://lists.debian.org/debian-announce/2018/msg00003.html

+++ BEGIN QUOTE +++

The Debian project is pleased to announce the fifth update of its stable
distribution Debian 9 (codename "stretch"). This point release mainly
adds corrections for security issues, along with a few adjustments for
serious problems. Security advisories have already been published
separately and are referenced where available.

Please note that the point release does not constitute a new version of
Debian 9 but only updates some of the packages included. There is no
need to throw away old "stretch" media. After installation, packages can
be upgraded to the current versions using an up-to-date Debian mirror.

Those who frequently install updates from security.debian.org won't have
to update many packages, and most such updates are included in the point
release.

New installation images will be available soon at the regular locations.

+++ END QUOTE +++

It's possible a mirror was burping or something, too. That last line
is the hint there.

I'm on a brand new, 24-hour-old debootstrap that was 100% up-to-date,
*yes, including security releases (grin)*. I just  "apt-get updated".
It took about 4 hours and now says another 23MB of upgrades are needed
that quickly. :D

Just thought to check libreoffice, too, since I hadn't install it again and yet:

0 upgraded, 132 newly installed, 0 to remove and 38 not upgraded.
Need to get 132 kB/179 MB of archives.
After this operation, 578 MB of additional disk space will be used.

It sure pays to hoard previously downloaded dotDeb archive files when
you're on dialup!

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey