which thunderbird produces

    /usr/bin/thunderbird

launching it through the terminal does not alter the results.
*I have disabled all addons and seems to have solved the problem. *I
might go through some further testing to see if it relates to
xul-ext-google-tasks-sync or xul-ext-firetray since those are both
addons from the repos I'm currently using (this problem occurred in both
and stretch to buster). However Reenabling all addons seems to not have
reproduced the issue. I believe it might be caused by Provider for
Google Calendar but I don't believe I got it from the debian repos (or
that its even there).