On Tue 24 Jul 2018 at 10:45:23 (+0100), Jonathan Dowland wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 01:04:39PM -0500, David Wright wrote:
> >Without intending any criticism of the suggestion, particularly for
> >this use case where a DE might be assumed, it looks very heavy on
> >dependencies. On my system, it would require 90 packages minimum:
>
> Well, as you point out, one's mileage may vary. If you already have KDE
> installed, then you'll likely have most of these dependencies already.
> On my system, I didn't, and the concrete disk-usage for the dependencies
> is as follows:
>
>    10 upgraded, 164 newly installed, 0 to remove and 90 not upgraded.
>    Need to get 107 MB of archives.
>    After this operation, 296 MB of additional disk space will be used.
>
> Worrying about such figures is an old habit (for me at least) that is
> long overdue breaking. This is still a drop in the ocean for my /
> partition, which even so is modestly sized by modern standards (92G).
>
> I've installed single applications on Macs that are larger than this,
> and I think that's often the case for Windows too.
>
> If tellico proves to be useful, than this is a price well worth paying.
> And if it doesn't, all this gets undone with a few simple apt commands.

My post was a warning about numbers, not size. My advice in the recent
past has been for generosity in root partition sizes, though for many
people here (LVM users) this is not an issue.

Including Recommends, there are 190 packages (in my case) to check.
My previous post here on Saturday contained the lines
    "I only have ALSA installed: pulseaudio has always seemed to put
    more obstacles in the way rather than being of any help."
So what do we see in Monday's list?
    "plasma-scriptengine-javascript pulseaudio pulseaudio-utils rtkit sgml-data"

No, it's not a dependency, but it's just one more thing to have to
deal with, picking over which Recommends make a lot of sense to
install and which don't; hence the warning.

Cheers,
David.