Thanks Floris and Doug for your replies.  Now I know that my question made it to the list and at least one other person has a similar concern with Garmin Express.

By Googling this, I have read many different forums and web pages about installing this on Linux.  Most of those discussions were from 2010 ~ 2017.  The only solution indicated to work was to install Windows as a guest in a virtual machine.  Oracle VirtualBox seems to be the most popular.  It is what I have used to evaluate numerous Linux distros until finding those I like the best.

Since WINE is still under active development and it is 2018, I was hoping that someone would respond with "It works on WINE if you do this, this and this..."  At least that would let me know that it was possible.  I am now of the opinion that GarminExpress-on-WINE is not possible at this time.  Either use the Windows-in-VBox or Windows-dual-boot solution.

I am not a programmer but I consider myself to be a reasonably proficient user from using DOS and various versions of Windows since the early 1980's. I have only been using Linux for about 4 months and Google answers most of my questions.

Doug-

to try to answer your question a "clean 32-bit Wineprefix", from what I see in WINE is a virtual hard drive designated as C:\ as Windows would do it.  It contains a complete file system that looks like a mini-Windows installation.  It is designated as a 32-bit or 64-bit at the time it is created.  Much like installing a 32 or 64 bit version of Windows.  This is where the Windows program of concern and all of its supporting components get installed.  If you want a more complete explanation please check out the WINE wiki page.

So, I am going to stop pursuing this unless any one else responds that they have been able to make it work.

Best regards,

Roy